1. Highlights – read me first!
- When coming to the shop please plan your visit to arrive during our normal business hours. We're open Monday through Friday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. We are closed for lunch between 1:00 and 2:00. Map & directions
- A deposit is generally required when you drop off your unit.
- We cannot provide estimates over the phone. You must bring your equipment into the shop.
- Please write to us with your questions. It is preferable to calling while our technicians are at work.
- Written estimates are available for $125.00. The fee covers the costs of preparing the estimate. It is not applied to the cost of the repair.
- Estimates are subject to the current availability of parts and materials. CAE Sound is not responsible for changes in price or availability of replacement parts.
- We regret we cannot provide estimates based solely upon a customer's description of the problem. You must bring your unit to our service center.
3. Service Costs
- Our goal is to assess fees in a fair and transparent manner.
- Labor is billed in quarter-hour increments, with a one-hour minimum charge.
- The labor rate does not include the cost of parts, materials, shipping and other expenses.
- Units that a client or dealer ships in for repair are all subject to handling fees. Handling fees apply to both in and out of warranty repairs.
- Some small items weighing less than 3 pounds, like pedals and accessories, may be exempt from the minimum fees
- Additional fees apply for large or heavy items such as organs, pianos, Leslies, etc.
- Fees will be charged for the time it takes to properly manage at a rate of $35.00 per hour billed in quarter hour increments.
- Damage due to spills: a two-hour deposit is required. This allows us to clean the unit, stop corrosion, and give a repair estimate if necessary. NO WARRANTY on spill-related repairs!
- Speaker Reconing and/or re-surround fees are payable in advance.
- Service Calls: $175.00 plus 1 hour @ $125.00 ($300.00 minimum), plus $125.00 for each additional hour after the first hour. These rates apply to service calls within a 40-mile radius of our shop. Customer is responsible for assuring parking in close proximity of repair. Parking fees and/or bridge tolls will be billed to the customer, as well.
- Data Storage & Retrieval. (Programmed user data, voices, set-up, etc.
- CAE is not responsible for memory or other stored cata in units presented for repair.
- Data storage is not eligible for warranty coverage.
- Help, advice, consulting, by email or telephone, is available for $65.00 per hour prepaid (1 hour minimum).
- Storage charges apply to items not picked up within 30 days of completion.
4. Payments and Deposits
- A minimum deposit of $135.00 is due at the time your gear is checked in.
- Deposits are due at the time of check-in and will be applied toward the service.
- Most repairs will require parts, for which which a deposit may be required.
- Payment is accepted in the form of cash, check (with valid ID), VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, cashiers check, and money order. We reserve the right to require cash payment at our discretion.
- Mailed payments can be sent to:
- CAE Sound
285 N. Amphlett Blvd.
San Mateo, CA 94401-1805
5. Fee Schedule
|Labor rate (per hour)
|Diagnostic check (not an estimate)
|Rush order surcharge
|Handling charge (minimum)
|Packing charge (minimum)
|Speaker reconing (per unit)
|Speaker re-surround (per unit)
|User data storage (for MIDI units)
|Service call surcharge
|Consult via email or phone (per hour)
|Storage (per day after first 30 days)
6. Repairs Under Warranty
- You must provide the original purchase receipt and a complete description of the problem before warranty service can begin.
- We recommend that you read your manufacturer's warranty for what is and what is not covered.
- There will be a $35.00 fee if we must research your warranty.
- IMPORTANT: Findings of "No Problem Found" or "User Error" are NOT covered under warranty. Our minimum fee of $135 will be charged for those or any repairs not covered under the manufacturer's warranty.
7. Shipping Items to/from CAE Sound
- Use original factory packaging if possible, as it is the best packaging for shipping any unit to us for repair.
- If you use original factory packaging in good condition, then our handling charge can be waived.
- If non-factory original packaging is used, then our minimum handling fee will be charged. There are NO
- The minimum handling charge can be greater depending on the quality of the packaging used to ship the item to us and the weight of the item. this charge is to cover the time it takes to deal with the un-packing and packing of any unit shipped in for repair, and managing the packaging materials.
- Additional charges may apply to large or heavy items weighing over 40 lbs
- Ship freight prepaid. We do not accept freight collect packages.
- Please be VERY careful to ship your unit packaged for a safe trip.
- We use UPS for items that weigh less than 70 lbs.
- Our experience with heavier objects is that they frequently get damaged when shipped UPS.
- For small items weighing less than 5 lbs., bubble wrap and peanuts work well.
- Heavier units must be packed by a professional packing company using foam packing.
- We use the product called InstaPak Foam. It is a foam that expands to fit the item in the box, and it will absorb shock if needed. The problem with bubble wrap and peanuts is that the peanuts move out of the way of heavy objects, and bubble wrap will crush on the first impact leaving no protection for subsequent impacts.
- We will charge for packaging materials to re-pack any unit not sent in original factory packaging.
- Most repairs involve two or less labor hours. If a repair will take longer than two hours, we will contact you for approval before we proceed.
- Most repairs are completed within two weeks, depending upon the availability of parts & materials, customer approvals and the shop schedule. This is an estimated timeframe and is not guaranteed.
- Accessories: CAE is not responsible for cables, pedals or accessories that are not specifically declared at the time of check-in.